Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Looking at the city with different eyes


I walked through the beautiful German city of Leipzig with my friend. I was a foreigner in this city, I did know the language. He was my guide. 

As my friend is blind, I guided us both through the streets with my eyes. I was his guide.
 
We both had to adjust to a very different rhythm than when we go alone. Sometimes I wanted to rely more on my sight,  and he on his memory and spatial orientation, but we were learning to trust each other.

Embarrassed by the fact that sometimes we had to turn back or would occasionally bump into someone  at some point I started to apologize for my terrible sense of orientation. But my friend  simply said that so far we were able to get to all the places we wanted to. 

And that was true. It reminded me  to be proud of little things. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment